Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Books for the Brain


I remember the days when I would fall asleep reading a good book. The days when I would become so engulfed in a book that I would lose all sense of space and time. For all of my childhood and most of my adult life, I could devour a good Toni Morison book in one day. Most recently, the internet (mainly my beloved Facebook) has taken the place of one of my most cherished pasttimes. And slowly, I am feeling my brain turn into mush. :-(


For the sake of my mental health and mental stimulation, I vow to read more and spend less time on the internet. There's not much that can replace the pages of a good book. For me, books have always been a mental vacation. They have taken me to far away places and helped me to learn and grow beyond the influences of my immediate surroundings. So my current step towards being the best person that I can be mentally is to spend less of my free time in cyberspace and more time curled up with a good book.

1 comment:

  1. i like to read multiple books by placing a different one in each room. i also keep one stashed in my purse, and take it out every free moment i get.

    ReplyDelete

Share your thoughts.