Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Friends for a Season


People are in our lives for different reasons. Some people are only in our lives for a season. It's natural for us to want to hold on to people, long after the relationship has proven to be dead. Some people remind us of fun times - childhood, college, being young and carefree. It is the nostalgia that makes us want to keep them around. It is healthy to let go of people who add toxic elements to our lives. It's like pruning a tree to get rid of the dead branches. Trimming the tree stimulates growth. And sometimes we have to cut certain people out of our lives for the sake of our own personal growth.

Through social networking sites like Facebook and MySpace I have "connected" with some long, lost friends. I was excited to be back in in touch with a few people I thought were missing from my life. Some of these reunions have proven to be worthwhile. For example, Tiffany and I attended high school together. We had a lot in common and participated in some of the same extra-curricular activities. Unfortunately, we didn't get to hang out much in school because she was shy and I was in somewhat of a clique. Today, as mature self-assured women, we have become friends and now enjoy a flourishing friendship. And as for my high school "clique", I am no longer friends with any of them. I have also reunited with Anika, a creative soul, who inspires me and helps me to reach deep into myself to find untapped creativity. Most of my other cyber reunions have not been as successful. Instead, they have forced me to recall why I fell out of touch with certain people. But I have discovered that it is ok to let go of people in order to grow.

I am in a happy place in my life with a wonderful supportive family, a beautiful daughter, a great circle of friends that is expanding. I don't need to reach back to resurrect old memories. Instead, I will cherish the the memories of simpler times.

3 comments:

  1. Girl I agree with you so much. You think you can pick up where you left off, but it isn't that simple. Some people have grown while others remain in their juvenile ways. Thank goodness there is always a silver lining when you reunite with someone that you may not have been in your front row in the past. I am very thankful that we have this new friendship. its wonderful to have someone like you in my corner. We can talk about things from our past, but look forward to the future. You are a true friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Tiffany about some have grown while others remain the same. Someone I talk to tells me all the time "you've changed..." I'm like yeah I'm not seventeen anymore, can you change?

    ReplyDelete

Share your thoughts.